The San Jose Sharks officially have their starting goalie for next season, the Sharks have acquired top goaltending prospect, Martin Jones from the Boston Bruins.
The Sharks sent a 2016 first-round pick and unsigned forward prospect Sean Kuraly to the Bruins for Jones, four days after he had been dealt from San Jose’s biggest rival Los Angeles to Boston.
“Martin was at the top of our list of players that we had targeted,” general manager Doug Wilson said. “We’re extremely excited to have him on board.”
The Bruins acquired Jones at the NHL Draft Friday in a package for left wing Milan Lucic. With Tuukka Rask entrenched as the starter, the Bruins ended up flipping the pending restricted free agent Jones for more young players.
In all, Boston got two first-round picks, defence prospect Colin Miller and Kuraly for Lucic. The Bruins used the pick from the Kings on defenceman Jakub Zboril.
The majority of hockey experts, are amazed with Boston’s end of the deal. If you are a Boston Bruins fan you should be happy with it. Three solid young prospects plus, first round pick for Lucic Is a good haul.
From San Jose Sharks perspective: The price right now may look high to most, but Martin Jones is a 25-year-old goaltender who many suggested is the most ready to become an everyday NHL starter, and has the ability to become a superstar at the position. Let’s not forget, this is kid who won his first eight NHL starts. That stands as an NHL record.
The Question is were Jones numbers inflated because of the great team in front of him with Los Angeles? Maybe, that is the case. Whatever happens, I think this was a solid hockey move for both sides. It is not everyday you get the opportunity to secure a young goalie was so much potential. With that said, Boston doesn’t really need a goalie, and they received maximum value.
This was a good hockey trade.