Seguin “disappointed” to not have an extension yet

The Dallas Stars‘ top center said multiple times Tuesday that he feels “disappointed” that serious negotiations have not begun towards a long-term extension in Dallas.

The sides, he said, spoke informally at the draft in late June but no advancement toward a new contract has been made since.

“Nothing’s really going on,” Seguin said. “It’s been a little disappointing. I thought I’d have some exciting news to talk about at BioSteel Camp, especially this late in the summer. It’s been disappointing. But at the end of the day, I obviously have one year left here. I’m just going to focus on that.” Luke Fox Sportsnet

Seguin is set to earn $5.75 million this season, but he’s also entering the final year of his current deal.  Seguin is one of the premier offensive talents in the game. He had an impressive 40 goals and 78 points in 82 contests last year. He’s scored at least 33 goals in four of his last five seasons.

It is shocking that a player of Seguin’s status is in this position at all. This would be an easy one. 31 NHL clubs want players like Seguin and would pay the asking price and give max term. Not really sure what the hold up is… I get that Tyler is disappointed, but there is no reason to panic. If  Dallas does not commit someone will be spending “Big Money” with a smile on their face.