OVECHKIN BECOMES 20TH PLAYER TO SCORE 600 CAREER NHL GOALS
Alex Ovechkin became the 20th player in NHL history to reach the 600-goal milestone, doing so in his 990th career game (600-509—1,109). Only three players achieved the feat in fewer contests: Wayne Gretzky (718), Mario Lemieux (719) and Brett Hull (900).
* Ovechkin required only 189 games to get from 500 goals to 600 goals – tied with Mike Gartner(189) for fifth-fewest among all players to achieve the feat, behind Lemieux (114), Gretzky (143), Marcel Dionne (146) and Bobby Hull (171).
* Selected first overall by the Capitals in the 2004 NHL Draft, Ovechkin became the sixth player to score 600 goals for one franchise. The others: Gordie Howe (786 w/ DET), Steve Yzerman (692 w/ DET), Mario Lemieux (690 w/ PIT), Joe Sakic (625 w/ QUE/COL) and Bobby Hull (604 w/ CHI).
* Ovechkin (Moscow, Russia) became the fourth European-born player to reach 600 NHL goals, joining Jaromir Jagr (766; Kladno, Czech Republic), Teemu Selanne (684; Helsinki, Finland) and Jari Kurri (601; Helsinki, Finland).
* Since entering the NHL in 2005-06, Ovechkin (600) has 195 more goals than the next-closest player (Sidney Crosby: 405). Ovechkin (600-509—1,109) and Crosby (405-698—1,103) are the only players with 1,100 or more points in that span.
* Less than 1,000 games into his NHL career, Ovechkin already is the League’s all-time leader in overtime goals (22), ranks ninth in game-winning goals (100), 10th in power-play goals (225) and 10th in shots on goal (4,839).
* Overall, Ovechkin’s average of 0.61 goals per game ranks fifth in NHL history among players with a minimum of 300 games played, behind Mike Bossy (0.76), Lemieux (0.75), Cy Denneny (0.75) and Pavel Bure (0.62). In fact, only two of 19 players ahead of Ovechkin on the all-time goals list averaged at least 0.60 goals per game: Lemieux (0.75) and Gretzky (0.60).
* Only one other active NHL player is averaging at least 0.50 goals per game (min. 300 GP): Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos (0.53), who has 348 career goals in 655 games.
* Ovechkin has averaged at least 0.60 goals per game in nine of his 13 NHL seasons (including 0.61 in 2017-18: 42 G in 69 GP). At that rate, Ovechkin would need 490 more games – just under six full seasons – to equal Wayne Gretzky’s NHL record of 894 goals and approximately 334 more games – a little more than four seasons – to join Gretzky and Gordie Howe (801) as the only players in League history to score 800 goals.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS: OVECHKIN’S 600 GOALS
* Ovechkin has scored against 128 different goaltenders on his way to 600 goals (plus 28 goals into an empty net), including 22 goals against Henrik Lundqvist (37 GP) – his highest total against one netminder. Monday marked the first time Ovechkin scored against Winnipeg’s Connor Hellebuyck(2 G in 4 GP).
* Among goaltenders Ovechkin has faced at least 10 times, his best goals per game has come against Ben Bishop (0.91 G/GP; 10 G in 11 GP). Also of note is that Ovechkin has scored 12 goals – his eighth-highest total against one goaltender – in seven contests against Devan Dubnyk (1.71 G/GP).
* Ovechkin, who has at least five goals against every team except the first-year Golden Knights (0 G in 2 GP), has scored more goals versus the Jets/Thrashers franchise than against any other club, tallying 47 times in 63 games (vs. ATL: 30 G in 42 GP; vs. WPG: 17 G in 21 GP). His best goals per game against one club is 1.07 G/GP against the Wild.
* Nicklas Backstrom has assisted on 228 of Ovechkin’s first 600 career goals (38%) – by far the highest total among the 87 different players (including five goaltenders) to assist on an Ovechkin goal.
* The road to 600 goals has seen Ovechkin score in 46.2% of his appearances (457 of 990 GP). That includes 99 contests with exactly two goals, 16 with exactly three goals and four with four goals – a total of 119 multi-goal performances (20 hat tricks).
* Ovechkin’s 119 career multi-goal games are tied for 16th on the League’s all-time list (w/ Luc Robitaille); Jari Kurri and Bobby Hull share 14th place with 121 apiece, while Wayne Gretzky holds the record with 189. Since 2005-06, Ovechkin has 39 more multi-goal games than the next-closest player (Sidney Crosby: 80).
* Ovechkin has scored the opening goal of a game 109 times, tied a game 112 times and put his team ahead 208 times (including 22 overtime goals). Additionally, Ovechkin has pulled his team within one goal 53 times and given the Capitals a two-goal lead on 112 occasions.
* Ovechkin has scored 44 of his goals in the opening five minutes of a game – including 10 in the first 60 seconds – and 76 in the last five minutes of regulation – with 35 of those coming in the final minute.
Thanks to the NHL PR department for the information above